Veterans and active military personnel are at a higher risk of substance abuse. The violence on the battlefield leaves behind lasting scars in the form of physical injury, PTSD, constant stress, other co-occurring disorders and may even estrange the individual from society. As a result, military members may develop an addiction to alcohol or drugs as a coping mechanism. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, Coalition Recovery’s military alcohol rehab center can guide you on the path of wellness and healing.
Addiction in the military is unfortunately quite common, and if left unchecked, can lead to severe repercussions. However, with the right treatment program, one can rebuild a new and happier life, away from the horrors of war. To know more about Coalition Recovery’s specialized military rehab program for veterans struggling with addiction, call us at 888.707.2873.
What to Expect in an Alcohol Rehab Center for Members of the Military
Not all rehab facilities are equipped to treat clients with a history of near-death experiences or those who’ve seen people die right before their eyes. Thus, it is important to choose a rehab program where veterans with addiction are treated with empathy and understanding, and their trauma is processed in a safe and supportive environment.
At a military rehab center, you may expect one or more of the following
- Detox, where the client is purged off of the harmful substances in their body and closely monitored; cravings and withdrawal symptoms are alleviated with other medications.
- Evidence-based practices, including one-on-one therapy sessions to assess the client’s trauma, identify triggers and create a safe space to heal, with the help of different activities and exercises.
- Family education and counseling, so that the loved ones can better understand and be of help while the client learns to effectively communicate their needs.
- Other holistic activities so that the client may find renewed purpose to live, develop new hobbies and improve their overall well-being.
- Support group meetings and sober housing options so that veterans with addiction can develop bonds with like-minded peers, share experiences and support each other on the recovery journey.
Veterans with Addiction: Signs You Need Help
Often, we ignore the warning signs of substance abuse issues. Moreover, drinking is very much normalized in our culture, even among the armed forces.
Signs that a veteran requires treatment or is struggling with alcoholism include the following:
- Violent outbursts and aggressive behavior
- Frequent flashbacks of war and military service
- Insomnia or nightmares
- Drinking on one’s own to hide one’s trauma and guilt
- Feelings of low self-worth and self-loathing
- Any form of self-harm or self-destructive behavior
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Estrangement from friends and social circles
- Irritability and mood swings
- Sense of numbness and hopelessness
The emotional toll of serving in the armed forces may give rise to several mental health disorders among military members, further leading to substance abuse disorders or vice versa. However, it is never too late to seek help.
Learn More About Coalition Recovery’s Military Rehab Program
For over six years, Coalition Recovery has been helping citizens irrespective of age, gender, and background to recover from their addictions and rebuild their lives.
Since addiction recovery looks different for everyone, we have multiple specialized programs tailored to suit the unique lived experiences of a wide variety of people- students, professionals, young adults, members of the queer community, and even veterans. With a strong focus on trauma therapy and aftercare, we treat not only the symptoms of addiction, but the root causes of it, so that the individual may make a full recovery. With regular ongoing support, we minimize the chances of a relapse and monitor the client’s wellness progress through the years.
By beginning our military rehab program, veterans with addiction can get immediate help and relief. Call us at 888.707.2873 and change your life today.
Coalition Recovery exists to provide state-licensed, nationally accredited addiction treatment to those in need through both part-time and full-time programs. We believe that the most effective treatment for substance use disorders is individualized to each client and combines both therapy and medication. Our team of addiction treatment professionals treats every client with respect and compassion while utilizing innovative approaches to treatment. And our aftercare and Renaissance programs ensure that every one of our clients has the tools they need for lasting sobriety